Berkshire War Memorials

Vale of White Horse - WANTAGE

The present town of Wantage incorporates the former villages of Charlton and Belmont

St Peter & St Paul Church, Wantage
located off the Market Place by Church St

WW1 Memorial - 82 names on bronze plaque (WM5039)

WW2 Memorial - 39 names on framed parchment

Ormond Memorial
A marble tablet on the east wall of the Lady Chapel. Lists six members of the family who died in service

Wantage Monument
Located in SS Peter and Paul churchyard
A stone cross with dedication on the base and six panels listing names from WW1 and Ww2

The Dedication

Wantage Cemetery (WM4293)

There are 13 Commonwealth War Graves in the municipal cemetery:-

Clifford William Akers died 14/9/1945
Alick John Alder died 1/6/1940
Arthur Herbert Anns died 1/10/1940
Evory William Carmichael died 23/8/1947
A Dowse died 1/11/1918
George William Gibbs died 26/6/1918
Godfrey George Green died 13/10/1944
Frederick Harris died 16/3/1946
William George Kelly died 6/11/1941
G Kite died 20/5/1915
Ernest Henry John Pounds died 13/2/1943
T O Richings died 2/5/1918
George Goodwin Wheeler died 11/7/1918

Wantage Fire Station (WM5023)
Located on Ormond St

A bronze plaque with 2 names for WW1

Wantage Baptist Church (WM5022)
located at 6 Mill St
Nothing known about their war memorial

Wantage Town War Memorial (WM5021)
A carved board with no names - present location not known

War Memorial Recreation Ground
The recreation ground forms a memorial and there are plaques on either side of the entrance gates on Manor Road

King Alfred's College (WM5100)
Their war memorial is a lych gate donated by Old Alfredians

Holy Trinity Church, Charlton

WW1 Memorial (WM5563)
18 names on a wooden plaque

WW2 Memorial
4 names on a wooden plaque

Rivers Memorial (WM6159)
- d 26/11/1900

Charlton War Memorial (WM5025)

A stone cross in churchyard with 17 names for WW1 and 4 for WW2 The names are on four tablets arranged around the foot of the monument


Back to top »
2011 - © Berkshire Archaeological Society